Monday, July 23, 2012

SSSDC - Week 7 Update & Goals for Week 8

Uh, an electron and a proton do what again, exactly????

Well, I survived the NJ Praxis Exam!!!
Considering I began studying one day prior to the test (and did a bit of reviewing again this morning), I feel I did OK. You need a score of 141 to pass and I received a score of 178. Yeah, I'll take it!
Thankfully this test was similar to those I have taken for PA, so the question format was familiar - but I have to say, I don't remember much about elementary school science or social studies which is where I performed the weakest on the test. I'm sure I made quite a few lucky guesses, but at the end of the day,  the test is DONE and now I just need to file all of my other paperwork so I can start looking for work in NJ. Whew!

Anyway - I know I am late in getting my update to you, so without further ado, allow me to share my week in review.

As for my weight, it was a rollercoaster week, as Aunt Flo was in town and wreaking her usual havoc on my body with things like bloat and chocolate cravings. My weight was all over the place this week - as low as 218 and as high as 219.75, but as of Friday which is my official weigh in day, I was at 219.

So updated stats are as follows:
Starting weight: 232
Weight last week: 219.75
Weight this week: 219
Loss for this week: .75 lbs
Total loss for challenge thus far: 13 lbs

The mini-challenge for this past week was to commit to (and sign up for) a 5K (if possible). Josh and I have decided to run the Career and Life Transitions Autumnfest 5K Run/Walk on Sunday, November 4th in Hackettstown, NJ. I could not find any current info on our own town's Fall Foilage 5K that they usually do each year, so we decided to enter a 5K elsewhere. If the Fall Foilage Run gets coordinated eventually, I may opt to sign up for that one, too (ambitious, I know). But for now, at least I am signed up for the November date and that gives me PLENTY of time to get my rear in gear to run the entire thing. Dear knees, don't fail me now! I'm also doing Julie's virtual 5K on July 27th but will probably be doing a combo jog/walk because Lord knows I am not ready to do any major distance just yet. I'm still in my running infancy, if you even want to call it that. I'm thinking it's more like my running embryonic stage...

And, since I'm on the subject -  just to update you on my progress with the 5K training, I realized yesterday that the app I downloaded to help me train isn't the official Couch to 5K program. It's something called 5K Runner and the program actually is only 8 weeks long instead of 9. It seems like the running parts are longer from the get-go (or maybe it just feels that way), and the workout is a bit longer - 30 mins -  as opposed to 20 - although that does include a 5 minute warm up and cool down. I've opted to do my training outside since the 5K will be outside (no duh!) and I feel like it's harder to run outdoors, so this gives me a leg up on when I will have to do it "for real" for the event. Right now I am "running" on our crappy high school track (I use the term "running" loosely, mind you - I am not really sure what you would call what I am doing, to be honest - but I'm no Jackie-Joyner Kersee,  that's for sure) and would eventually like to venture out on the street - but not yet. Maybe once I work up to a mile, I'll feel more confident about shlepping around the town - but for now, I'm staying off the beaten path and running in relative privacy, except for my exposure to the field hockey team that, no doubt, gets a good laugh at my expense when they have their morning practice.

So far I have completed my first week and tomorrow I begin Week 2, Day 1. I had a 2 day break while my niece was here but she did run with us on Sunday as I completed Week 1, Day 3. Tomorrow should prove interesting as the runs get a wee bit longer. I'm sure I'll be whining to Josh just a wee bit more as a result.

This week,  the mini-challenge is to embrace a fitness fear. Running is technically a huge fitness fear of mine, so I feel like I started addressing the fitness monster hiding under my bed a week early. However, I have a number of fitness fears I long to conquer - Zumba being one of the biggies - so that is what my fear focus will be this week. I'm going to take a Zumba class come hell or high water and see if I don't die of either a heart attack or sheer embarrassment - or quite possibly both. Stay tuned for tales from Zumba Hell later this week.

That's really all I have to report. This week I have to put a serious dent in job applications for subbing jobs. I have a lot I need to do before we leave for vacation in August. Both professionally and physically. I'd like to be at least another 5lbs down by the time we leave August 3. Lofty but doable if I stay seriously focused. (Let's just say I am thrilled my homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies I made for last week's block planning party are finally gone...they really killed me this week).

For all that are still hanging on in this challenge, let me say thank you for sticking with it and rooting on your fellow challengers! I am so proud of the dedication and progress you are all making - and that includes admitting when times are tough and pushing past those obstacles to continue on your weight loss and fitness journeys. You are all fantastic women that are each inspiring in your own ways...it is a real pleasure to be doing this "alongside" of all of you!

Until next time - Much Sweat and No Regret!!!

6 comments:

  1. I like the Zumba class at my gym. It’s like a night out dancing with my gal pals and not so much an exercise class. I think we annoy the teacher at times.

    I look forward to reading about your Zumba experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh...the dreaded Praxis exams. How many do you need to take in NJ now? Like...12? It's ridiculous. I hate those tests. I've taken about 6 of them over the course of my teaching career. Too many...too many.

    Keep up the good work of getting those numbers lower. Push, baby! Push! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on another loss, Rochelle. There is nothing like some pounds off to keep us motivated to stay the course. You are really turning your health around. I am quite impressed that you are working on running with the C25k program and have already committed to an event. Good for you. I have found that those events that require exercise are great to keep me going. There is NOTHING like crossing a finish line knowing how far one has come to get healthy. Keep up the great work. Congrats on passing the Praxis with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great on your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH on the test. YEAH on the weight loss. YEAH on all that you've been doing. 13 lbs is great Rochelle. I love reading your updates and ieas and challenges.
    Good luck this week. Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your loss and your 5 k goal! I love that you are doing it. You don't regret it!!

    ReplyDelete