Saturday, July 30, 2011

Can I Still Lose If I Choose To Booze?

I have a dilemma.....well, maybe dilemma is too strong a word. It's really more of a situation that I've been mulling around in my head and am wondering if anyone else does this, or at the very least has an opinion about it.

I like my cocktails - I always have. I'm not a booze hound with a problem, but I am one of those people that very much enjoys the act of relaxing with a drink. I don't chug my bevvie down like I'm a cheerleader at a frat party....I savor it. Strangely enough, I truly like the taste of alcohol.

Because I am doing this diet "my way",  I have allotted myself one night a week where cocktails are allowed. I don't mean I'm sucking down copious amounts of booze - but more like a glass or two of wine, or 2 lite beers or maybe a couple of martinis. This process allows me to feel like I am living normal life. I purposely chose my weigh in day as the day I get to drink because I figure I have the week to repair whatever caloric damage I have done by imbibing.

I know that most people really throw themselves into dieting with every fiber of their being and eliminate alcohol because, well, nobody really wants to drink their calories. I understand this concept fully and for the most part agree with it wholeheartedly. I spent many years taking in my daily recommended calorie allotment in the form of drink, and then consumed double that in food form. I understand just how abusive I was to my body back then. There is no question as to how I packed on the pounds...

I guess my question or dilemma is this: Can I have my alcohol and drink it too? I found several articles that say yes, an occasional drink is OK, and some that advise that I kick my libations to the curb. It's not that I can't do it....but more like I don't want to.

I do know that drinking comes with a price. Calorically speaking, it's a trade off. I can't expect the same results as I might if I don't get my drink on. But are a few drinks a week a diet killer? Am I setting myself up for failure by not being stricter about this?

What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. I think if it's part of your lifestyle, then keep it. If it makes things feel more "normal" and it relaxes you, then I think the positive psychological benefits outweigh the calories. Deprivation tends to lead to binging...so indulge...a little!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything in moderation I say

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to sound like the drunk cheerleader at the frat party here - but I'm well versed in this subject. The problem that I found with drinking is it lowers inhibitions and causes me to overeat too. Two margaritas in and I've downed a plate of wings! What works for me is I decide that my alcohol is my desert. If I'm having a glass of wine then I have one and it's with grilled chicken and green beans! But cut it out completely.....never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input, ladies. I think you all have some valid ideas....looks like the booze can stay for now - until it gets to sabotaging my weight loss. i agree that moderation is key and I have to give up something those booze calories - And trust me, I am OK with wine for dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that everything in moderation is fine. As soon as you tell yourself you can't have something you enjoy you are setting yourself up to fail. Yes, you can still lose and enjoy your booze. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one issue I don't have - for as long as I can remember I've preferred eating my calories to drinking them:)

    ReplyDelete